Home | Peter Fidler | Ancestors Index | History | Forum |

Sinclairs of St. Peters

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
virrich

Sinclairs of St. Peters

Post by virrich » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:39 pm

I'm pleased to have found this site. Perhaps it can shed light on our Sinclair ancestry from the St. Peters, Manitoba area. I am trying to find information on my great-grandfather, William Sinclair of St. Peters. He married Elizabeth Thomas of Peguis back in the mid 1800's. I cannot find any information on this William, no parents or date of birth. If anyone has any info on William Sinclair of St. Peters, with wife Elizabeth, I would love to hear. Thanks so much. :?

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: Sinclairs of St. Peters

Post by gnstill » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Your great grandfather was probably William SINCLAIR (1856-1924). He married Elizabeth THOMAS in the mid to late 1870's or early 1880's. They lived in the St Peters Reserve. In fact, William was a Councilor on the St Peters Indian Band during the 1890's.

I have a list of their children, so if you can identify your grandfather SINCLAIR's name and birth date; who he married, etc. we can probably verify this.

virrich

Post by virrich » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Hello gnstill,

Well, you have gotten me quite excited to learn more of my great grandfather William.

William had several children....I will name the ones that I remember.

Horace
Willie (William Jr.)
George
Colin
Esther (Hester)
Mary

Hope this helps and I hope I've found the correct William Sinclair. Do you know how I can find out where William was born and who hes parents were. Thank you very much. You are a God Send.

Phyllis Sinclair
virrich@telus.net

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:54 am

We seem to be on the right track Phyllis. At least some of the names you listed match what I have. However, I need more clues to make sure we aren’t 'barking up the wrong Tree' (Chuckle – Family Tree).

It would make life a lot easier for me if you would just tell me who your grandparents are/were and when they were born; even better would be who your own parents are/were?

Do you by any chance have MONKMAN or CLEMONS relatives?

Cheers, Gary Still

virrich

Post by virrich » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Hello Gary,

My Grandparents were Jemima Sinclair (nee Anderson) and Colin Sinclair. Jemima was born in Fort Severn, Ontario but was baptized in York Factory, MB. Colin was born in St. Peters. He and my grandmother were married in York Factory, MB.

I'm not sure about Monkmans as relatives, but Clemons definitely were. I believe my grandfather's sister Mary married a Clemons. I remember many visits to St. Peters as a child, where we visited Mary Clemons. She lived with her son Bill and his wife Amy along the river there. Bill and Amy were well known in the community. Amy was a strong Aboriginal advocate for equity and equality. She worked for the Winnipeg Friendship Centre for many years.

I've got my fingers crossed for knowing more about William Sinclair as I don't know anything about him. I'm so glad that you shared with me that he was a band counsellor in St. Peters, as that put a human face on him. Thank you so much.

Phyllis

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:03 am

There is a good possibility that our William SINCLAIR (1856-1924) was an Interpreter for Lieutenant Alexander MORRIS during the Treaty negotiations of 1874-1877. He may have been a son of Margaret SAUVE & James SINCLAIR, an Indian. However, I cannot be certain of this; I could be wrong. I am still researching this. There are a couple of other possibilities that I am looking at as well.

I knew about the SINCLAIR connection to Amy CLEMONS. I used to chum around with Glen CLEMONS from the St Peters area. I think he was Amy's nephew.

Another question; do you know about Esther SINCLAIR married to Alfred BRUYERE?

virrich

Post by virrich » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:44 am

Hi Gary,

Yes. I've connected with many of the Bruyeres through Facebook. They too, are wondering who William was. It will be good to know him better. Thanks for the new info. You may be on the right track, as I've come across many William Sinclairs, but not this one.

I visit the Old Stone Church at Dynover from time to time, when i'm in the area. All the old houses are gone that once was the old St. Peters. The winding gravel road, the tall grassess, and wild Lilac bushes are gone for well manicured acreages. Still, I feel connected to my grandfather and grandmother when I go there. Ancestry is so important. Thanks so much for your help. I sincerely appreciate it.

Phyllis

Louanne

Post by Louanne » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Hello Phyllis . I am very excited too. Thank you for the link. In other official docs that I have researched, I found William Sinclair to be married to Elizabeth Thomas who was born around 1868.
William had siblings named Joseph, Pierre, James Jr., Marie, Margurite, Christine and an Unknown.
After doing some number crunching according to 1955 Archives doc. I got the number for Elizabeths birthdate. In that same document, it shows that she was 12 years younger than William. I like all the litle side notes on individuals as it seems to paint a picture as to what their personalities may have been back in the day.

Louanne

Post by Louanne » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Gary, I am from the Clemons bunch as well. I found a doc stating that John Lefoy Clemons had 3 children named, Luke, Esther Monkman (nee Clemons)and of course Ralph Clemons. Hope this helps :D

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:51 pm

My first page on the SINCLAIR families is now up an running on my Red River Ancestry website. Here's the link: NAHOVWAY & WILLIAM SINCLAIR (1766-1818)

Louanne already has posted a topic there regarding the SINCLAIR's of St Peters: I will do a reply there. Here's the link to Louanne's posting: ELIZABETH BETSY SINCLAIR 1868

Hereafter, please discuss topics other than FIDLER on that website. You may need a different password to make postings there. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Louanne

Post by Louanne » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:28 am

Yikes ! I cant find where I am to go in order to change my password ....