Home | Peter Fidler | Ancestors Index | History | Forum |

Fidler House on the banks of the Red River

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
Fraser Stewart

Fidler House on the banks of the Red River

Post by Fraser Stewart » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi Gary
I just reviewed your excellent web site and was very impressed with the content and linkages on the Fidler family.
I am not a Fidler but we live directly across from the St Clements Church where the heritage Thomas Bunn house is located. This was also built by Samuel Taylor in 1862.The property has been in our family since 1944.
In the mid 50s when Lawrence Fidler passed away, my father purchased the river lot #93 from the Fidler family and moved the house next to the Bunn house as we were operating a farm at the time and it was used by farm staff.
To cut a long story short - now that the cattle are gone, my wife and I operate both the Thomas Bunn House and the Fidler House as a B&B and try to promote the heritage of the area. Our web site can be found at http://bedandbreakfast.mb.ca/ follow the links
We often have members of the Fidler family staying in their ancestral home.
I am also involved with the RM of St Clements Heritage committee (stclementsheritage.ca) and try to promote the heritage of the region. Perhaps if you are in the area you might like to come over for a visit.
Fraser Stewart

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: Fidler House on the banks of the Red River

Post by gnstill » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:18 am

Thanks very much for your interest Fraser. I’m in Edmonton now but I occasionally visit my relatives in Manitoba and will try to visit you on my next trip.
Perhaps you missed all the related Family Pages on my Sister Website – Red River Ancestry. Here are some links you should check out. Would love to have your comments on the various related Topics there. You will need to re-register for that website forum.
RED RIVER ANCESTRY HOME PAGE
THOMAS BUNN (1830-1857)
SAMUEL TAYLOR (1812-1894)

Regards, Gary Still

Fraser Stewart

Post by Fraser Stewart » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:54 am

Hi Gary
Thank you very much for your references for Thomas Bunn and also Samuel Taylor. I certainly like the way you put this together. On our web site St Clements Heritage committee which is also accessed from the RM of St Clements web site, we have links to other informative web sites and would like to know if we could add your site as a link. We do obtain some 20,000 contacts per year (depending on which accounting source you use) and one of our major goals of this web site is to locate heritage information that would be of interest to our local history teachers and students studying local history. The school curriculum has now changed to allow this.
You can contact our web site manager, Roberta Anderson if it would be possible to link your web site to ours. Also we would like to know what might be the limitations/costs to utilize some of you materials in some of our projects. We do have a budget ( a bit limited) but can cover some costs.
Our Heritage committee is made up of volunteers but have some skilled people including retired teachers but also access to professional people such as Roberta. The Heritage committee is a sub committee of the RM of St Clements and our Heritage web site is a stand-alone site and linked to the RM site. We are also attempting to develop this into a regional site to involve the other RMs along the Red River North area. The new Regional library is also playing a role in this.
Thank you for your information
Fraser

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:25 pm

Certainly, I welcome links to my websites from virtually anyone. All I ask is that I be informed as to who they are.
As for costs/ charges – there are none. I do welcome donations form appreciative followers and from people who request Special Family Pages. (There’s a Donate Button at the top of the page)

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:45 am

New Family Page: WILLIAM THOMAS FIDLER (1869-1956)
These are the parents of Lawrence FIDLER.