Home | Peter Fidler | Ancestors Index | History | Forum |

Origins of the McKENZIE or MacKENZIE Fur Trade Cousins

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

Origins of the McKENZIE or MacKENZIE Fur Trade Cousins

Post by gnstill » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:07 am

Some people believe Our Roddy was a cousin of the famous explorer Sir Alexander MacKENZIE, and/or also a cousin of the Honorable (Sir) Roderick McKENZIE (who many researchers erroneously confuse with OUR Roderick). I am still on a quest to find the real origins of our Roddy and of these so-called cousins as well. Unfortunately, at this time my endeavors have not yielded totally convincing results. I would be very grateful to anyone who can provide enlightenment, and I welcome discussions in these regards.

Here is the link to OUR Roddy: OUR RODDY

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: Origins of the McKENZIE or MacKENZIE Fur Trade Cousins

Post by gnstill » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:45 am

The Hudson’s Bay Company Archives (On-line version) indicates that OUR Roddy was born around 1772 in Lochnivar & Assynt, and that his father was Alexander McKENZIE of Ullapool who died March 12, 1802. Information Link

This is also supported by the following:
In Lochinver Cemetery is a table stone with the following inscription; "Sacred to the memory of Alexander MACKENZIE, Ullapool, who died the 12th March 1802. Erected by his son Roderick, Chief Factor for the Honourable Hudson’s Bay Company, with affectionate love." Information Link

If the above information is true (and it looks pretty solid) we can eliminate at least two of our confusing Roderick’s who were fur traders in Rupert’s Land.

We can eliminate Sir Roderick McKENZIE (c1761-1844). I don’t believe Sir Roddy ever was an HBC employee to begin with, but was rather a dominant partner in the North West Company during his lifetime.

We can eliminate the Roderick McKENZIE (c1791-1859) who married Sarah SUTHERLAND. In 1802 this Roddy would have only been about 11 years old, and didn’t become an HBC employee until 1811. This Roddy did become a Chief Trader in 1821. Of course we don't know when the above burial stone was actually erected, so I suppose there could be an argument there. However, I would need more evidence to convince me that he was a son of the above.