Home | Peter Fidler | Ancestors Index | History | Forum |

RODERICK McKENZIE (1772-1859)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
rgoodwil

RODERICK McKENZIE (1772-1859)

Post by rgoodwil » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:32 am

Hi, I am new to this site. I am very impressed with the information here. Thanks for the hard work.
We share common ancestors. My wife's great, great, great grandparents are Roderick and Angelique McKenzie.
I have a lot of questions about Roderick and his family.
There are references to a Roddy McKenzie also. I am not sure if he is the same person as Roderick?
Her great great grandfather was Alexander Black McKenzie.
I wonder if you have more information about Roderick and Angelique and their children. The information I have is from the Metis Federation and Angelique is listed as Angelique Malaterre, 1794-11.19.1859.

I would appreciate any help you could give.
It was fascinating reading the website as our family has a lot of overlap with the Fidler clan having lived in Brandon, Winnipeg, family in Edmonton and Selkirk.

I look forward to any replies. I will save specific questions as there are a lot of them.
Robert Goodwill

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: Roderick McKenzie

Post by gnstill » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:53 pm

Welcome to the Forum Robert!

Alexander Black McKENZIE (1828-1873) was a son of Angelique MALLETTE or MALOTTE (an Ojibwe woman from the Nipigon area) & Roderick McKENZIE SR (1772-1859) from Scotland. Roderick was a Chief Trader and Factor for the North West Company and spent much of his life in the Nipigon District in the Lake Superior region. He had a large family and retired to Red River in 1852.

Can you give me more information about your wife’s lineage?

By the way, Roddy is simply a short name for Roderick. There are numerous Roddy McKENZIE’s in this family, and lots of problems sorting them out!

I will feature a page on Angelique & Roderick as soon as I review my information. Keep posted.

rgoodwil

Post by rgoodwil » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:26 pm

Thanks for the prompt response.
My wife, Shawn Goodwill, (Finnigan), mother Kathleen Finnigan (Ferguson).
Her grandmother was Catherine Lyons 1898-1952. Her great grandmother was Alice Margaret McKenzie 1862-1958. Great, great grandfather was Alexander Black McKenzie, and his father Roderick.

We are going to Scotland in a few months and wonder if you have birthplace in Scotland for Roderick.

Also wonder about his parents and how related to Alexander MacKenzie.

Any information you have regarding these families would be helpful.

Shawn and I both have brothers that live in Edmonton but now we live in Iowa.

Thanks,

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:36 pm

I have Roderick born around 1772 in Inver Assynt Parish, Scotland. Several other spellings are found: Lochniver & Assynt; Assynt; Inverassynt; Inverasayant. Some say Assynt in in Sutherlandshire, near Ullapool (in Lochbroom)

Also note that the name is often spelled as MacKENZIE. Some say that Roderick was a cousin of Sir Alexander MacKENZIE, the famous explorer, and also a cousin of Sir Roderick McKENZIE.

Researching the name Roderick McKENZIE can be a nightmare. There are countless Rodericks, and conflicting an confusing information about his origins. There were about five different Rodericks in the fur trade as well. I have so far not found information that is entirely convincing. That's why I want to do a thorough review of my own information before I do a feature posting. I may just post what I have, and hope that I get some input from other researchers.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:21 pm

I have started a new page featuring our Roddy on my new website: Red River Ancestry

Here's the link: OUR RODDY

I will be adding more to this in the near future. Stay tuned.

rgoodwil

Post by rgoodwil » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:40 pm

Hello again.
I just returned from a trip to Winnipeg, visited the St. Clement's church and Little Britain church.
I found Angelique McKenzie's grave site. The headstone has recorded her age as 71 at the time of her death. This would have her born in 1788.
This is different that the date mentioned in the "Roddy" section.
I wonder which is correct and what your source was.
Thanks for your help.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:37 pm

That's very interesting! Did you find a headstone nearby for Roderick, apparently buried in the same Little Britain United Church Cemetery?

I have several references to the Public Archives of Manitoba, St Andrews records, with a death date of Nov 17, 1859, at age 75 (for a birth date of 1784).

rgoodwil

Post by rgoodwil » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:35 pm

No, I did not find a headstone for Roderick, although there is an unreadable broken headstone right to the left of Angelique's. This is in a privately wrought-iron fenced area just in front of the church. There is also a headstone for Catharine, daughter of Roderick and Angelique, died 1851, age 34 years, and James, youngest son, died 1/2/1860, age 28.

I have picture of these that I could email. I do not know if it is possible to upload pictures to this site.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks Robert

The tombstone next to Angelique almost has to be Roderick. They both died in 1859, and it is said they were buried together at Little Britain.

I have received pictures before on the Forum. I would certainly love to have those pictures. Give it a try. If that fails, they could be sent via my private email.

Note: I am currently reviewing all my information, and today I added some more to my Roddy article.

rgoodwil

Post by rgoodwil » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:27 pm

I can't get pictures to add.
If you email me, I can send them privately.
I also have some pictures of Rev Benjamin McKenzie's headstone.
Had a lot of fun at the cemeteries!

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:52 am

Pictures received in good quality. Thanks very very much!

ddaej

Re: RODERICK McKENZIE (1772-1859)

Post by ddaej » Sun May 16, 2010 6:32 pm

Hello,

I am currently researching from Dallas Tx and have linked a direct relative to Roderick and Angelique. If any realtives are on this forum, please contact me. I have a friend taking photo's of the site at Little Britain, I also have found some info and documents from the Glenbow museum, specifically the Warren Sinclair's Metis Genealogy collection: does anyone have these? I have ordered info from the ThunderBay museum, and I am certainly willing to share whatever info and pictures I have, although pictures are few. Thank you for your time and review.

DJ

rgoodwil

Post by rgoodwil » Sun May 16, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi DJ. I would love to share info with you.
You can contact me at goodwill1@msn.com. I have some pictures from Little Britian.
Rob Goodwill

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun May 16, 2010 7:57 pm

Welcome to the Forum DJ

I too would love to see these pictures!

I do have our Roddy's descendants pretty well covered. Can you provide some more information on your relative's lineage so I can see where they fit in?

Also, this has been a wake-up call for me. I have a lot more information to add to my Roderick McKenzie narrative, including their children, but got side-tracked. I will do this tomorrow, after a little more review.

paxton1

Post by paxton1 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:41 am

Hi all,my gt gt grandfather was james anderson who married margeret mckenzie daughter of angelique and rodderick. My late uncle dr peter anderson left some interesting articles including a fine buckskin jacket to the thunder bay museam. I have never seen it myself unfortunatly as I live in london england. Also my last proper scottish relative , my uncle dr alec anderson of loch carron wester ross, died some 5 years ago, Alec did much research into the family, he did write it down but it got mislaid ,we are trying to find it, all the best adam paxton( my mother is sarah anderson)