Home | Peter Fidler | Ancestors Index | History | Forum |

Richard Stevens

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
Darlene

Richard Stevens

Post by Darlene » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:53 pm

Regarding Richard Stevens employment with the Hudson Bay Company: Although there is not a biographical sheet for him readily available under, Biograpical Sheets, if you hunt around on the HBC site one can be found. There is a copy available of his original contract with HBC available dated May 8, 1816. He received 30 pounds for the year as a clerk.

We visited the HBC Archives in the fall and found him in a 1816-1817 Moose Factory Journal. He arrived on The Emerald Sept.23, 1816 at 4 P.M His tenure was limited because he was sent back to England because of his conduct but then returned later still in the employment of the HBC.

Apparently, he settled with his family in St. Andrews and his son did the woodworking in the St. Thomas Church in St. Andrews.
Last edited by Darlene on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Descendent of Anne Nancy Fox and Thomas Bird, grandson of James Curtis Bird.

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: Richard Stevens

Post by gnstill » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Great work Darlene!

Were there any more details? Like when and where Richard was born?

Is there some way I could navigate to that information myself?

Thanks very Much!

Darlene

Post by Darlene » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:33 pm

With reference to Richard Stevens: Other family members, his descendents, have accomplished a great deal of in-depth research on his tenure with HBC and with his life in St. Andrews. They were generous enough to share it with me. Apparently, he was born in Overton, Gloucestershire abt. 1796 and died March 12,1872. Because I did not do the many hours of research, I am reticent to share their work.
Descendent of Anne Nancy Fox and Thomas Bird, grandson of James Curtis Bird.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:28 am

Thanks very much for that info Darlene

I’m sure you can see that there is a wealth of information out there that can be discovered and shared on the Forum. I have been in contact with another 'family member' who chooses to remain anonymous, but is generously providing me with additional information.

I am constantly revising and up-dating my narratives as I receive new information, so keep posted. I will do an update on Richard Stevens in the very near future.

I like to acknowledge the work done by other people on those pages, but I have recently been alerted to the fact that some people wish to remain anonymous. Any suggestions in that regard? Are there some who I could mention?