Home | Peter Fidler | Ancestors Index | History | Forum |

Cyprien MORIN (1829-1924)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

Cyprien MORIN (1829-1924)

Post by gnstill » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:51 am

Cyprien MORIN (1829-1924): I have lots of information on Cyprien but am finding some problematic information about this man.
The HBC Archives indicates he was born c1829 in France (actually, they have two different versions regarding Cyprien, the other indicating he was a Native, with no birth date.
The Town of Meadow Lake version also contains some problematic information http://www.meadowlake.ca/2008-06/history.php

Quebec Vital and Church Records has a Cyprien MORIN born 1828 in Quebec (St Ours)

mixedblood

Re: Cyprien MORIN (1829-1924)

Post by mixedblood » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:05 pm

Yes, I had believed that information regarding Cyprien as well. However the truth is that Cyprien was actually Metis. Cyprien's father was (French Canadian) Antoine Morin and his mother was (Metis) Marguerite Boucher.

I don't know where the rumor started that Cyprien was from France but here are a few of my hunches:

1.) Perhaps Cyprien was involved to some extent in the uprising of 1885, and establishing that he was French European may have been a way of concealing his political leanings?

2.) It could also have been that my relatives wanted to make him out to be a white man, as a means of trying to deny their true heritage, not uncommon amongst aboriginal people.

The truth of the matter is, that Cyprien was one of about nine or ten children of Antoine Morin and Pelagie Boucher, and he was born in Laloche N.W.T., present day Saskatchewan. I have more than two sources which confirm this information. I also have most of the information available concerning Cyprien's siblings, however, I lent the documents out to one of my nephews. Our family also has an original picture of our great, great grandmother Marie Cook, and my grandpa Norbert Morin's original WW1 picture.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:01 pm

Thanks very much Jules. Now that I seem have the genealogy correct, I am inspired to do a page about his family. Stay tuned!

I would love to have a copy of those pictures you mentioned. Is that possible?

Also I am soon going to update my George FIDLER write-up, adding a few pictures and a little more "color" to what I had.

mixedblood

Post by mixedblood » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:31 am

You can click some of the pictures from the online Metis museum, however, they are protected by copyright in the name of Lawrence Arnault, and any direct descendants.

My great grandfather: http://www.metismuseum.ca/resource.php/10853

My grandfather: http://www.metismuseum.ca/resource.php/00383

My great grandparents: http://www.metismuseum.ca/resource.php/10559

My grandma with her sisters, and mother: http://www.metismuseum.ca/resource.php/10556

It's also important to remember that several of my relatives share the same first and last names, so you're embarking on a daunting task. Any way I can help, just give me a shout, I'll help any way I can, although I'm very busy working. Don't hesitate to message me back though.

Thank you :D

aubichone

Post by aubichone » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:24 am

Hello! Our family is related to Cyprien as well and I would love some stories or information about him and his family?? Is there a website that I could visit?

aubichone

Post by aubichone » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:28 am

Also, do we know if Cyprien was born in 1829 or 1828? and is the month of his birth or death available? I'm also looking for a death and birth date for his wife, Marie Cook. Thanks a lot, this website has given me so much information already!

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:53 am

Aubichone, in answer to your first question: Mary COOK was apparently born on Jan 9, 1845 in Lac la Ronge (SK) and died on Oct 11, 1926 in Meadow Lake. (Information from Census 1901 and from an ancestry.ca posting by ‘Sandi’). This information looks good to me. I have not found Mary COOK’s origins, but I suggest she was probably one of the descendants of William Hemmings COOK, many of whom settled in the Cumberland House and The Pas areas.

The best ‘story’ I have found about Cyprien MORIN is on (Click here): Town of Meadow Lake Website
Click on Visitors, then on History

A nice story, but apparently not well researched (in my opinion). Following are passages I copied directly from that website. I have underlined what I believe is the most glaring errors

In 1881, a sixteen-section area to the immediate north of Meadow Lake was surveyed as a future Indian Reserve. And in 1888, an area just to the west was surveyed for the future town site. In 1889, a group of Cree Indians in the area signed into Treaty #6, and assumed title to the Reserve, becoming known as the Meadow Lake Indian Band (and now known as the Flying Dust First Nation).
That same year (1889), several Métis families arrived to settle on the west end of Meadow Lake. But Cyprien M0RIN had been the first settler to arrive. Born in France, he moved to Canada in the mid-1800s, working for the Hudson's Bay Company primarily in Ile a la Crosse where he had married Mary COOK.
Cyprien and Mary MORIN moved their family to Meadow Lake in 1873, setting up home where the Meadow Lake Golf Course is located now. He opened a Hudson's Bay Company post, traded in fur, and raised cattle and horses. The first Roman Catholic Church in Meadow Lake was built on his land. Cyprien MORIN died in 1924 at the age of ninety five.

First, Cyprien was NOT born in France. He was Indigenous, and Census 1901 states his birth date as May 1, 1834 in Meadow Lake. His father was Antoine MORIN (c1800-1857) who was born in Maskinonge, Montreal (PQ), a North West Company employee who continued on with the Hudson’s Bay Company after the union or the two companies in 1821. Antoine was a voyageur and a fisherman for the Company and as such travelled extensively between York Factory and places like Norway House, Fort Chip, Great Slave Lake, Ile a la Crosse, etc. Cyprien’s mother was Pelagie BOUCHER who was either a Chipewyan Indian or a halfbreed born around 1810.

When I get more information I may later post a narrative about Cyprien on my website, hopefully with more accurate information.

aubichone

Post by aubichone » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:36 am

Wow! Thank you very much for all the information!

mixedblood

Post by mixedblood » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:09 am

The parents of Pelagie Boucher were, according to ancestry.com

* Marguerite Montagnaise Nostekeux

* Birth 1778
in Lac Ste Anne, , Alberta, Canada

and,* Joseph Boucher

* Birth 1775
in , , Quebec, Canada

Not much other information from here though, I would suggest trying Gail Morin's books on Metis families, however, I found a few inaccuracies in her books as well concerning my grandma Florence Morin (nee Fiddler).

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:18 pm

I have similar information, but so far cannot be certain about Joseph BOUCHER's origins. There is a lot of confusing information out there about him that needs to be sorted out.