Home | Peter Fidler | Ancestors Index | History | Forum |

MADELEINE FAGNANT (1825-1896)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

MADELEINE FAGNANT (1825-1896)

Post by gnstill » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:01 am

Hello Jules

Thanks very much for the Cuthbert GRANT lineage.

Now my problem is the following:
According to Scrip of Jun 8, 1882 Madeleine FAGNANT born 1825 in St Francois Xavier (daughter of Josephte BELLEHUMEUR & Baptiste FAGNANT) was the wife of Basile TROTTIER.
Sprague & Frye ID-1950 indicates Alexis GERVAIS b-1822 as husband of Madeleine FAILANT, Metis, born 1825 in USA

Can you help me with this?

mixedblood

Re: MADELEINE FAGNANT (1825-1896)

Post by mixedblood » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:16 am

Interesting, I cross referenced my information from ancestry.com, and Genealogies of Red River Households (Pemmican Publications), and your information coincides with the Pemmican Publications book, whereby, Madeleine Faillant is shown as being born in the USA in 1825. However, I only have photocopies of the book information from our public library reference section. I'm 95% certain that I was only able to track the last name Faillant, as far as 1825, in this book at the time, which was several years back.

Now, according to Ancestry.com, Madeleine Angelique Fagant was born Nov. 1823, at the Red Deer River Settlement, Manitoba and died in Batoche, Saskatchewan in 1897. The very same source lists her as being hitched to Alexis Gervais who was born in the Northwest Territories in 1818, and having died in Batoche in 1895. Madeleine Fagnant's parents are listed as Jean Baptiste Fagnant born, 1800 in Trois Rivieres, Quebec., and having died at St. Francois Xavier RRS on July 30, 1871. and Josephte Monet Bellehumeur, born February 7, 1805 in Berthierville, Quebec and having died in West Nimba, Liberia, Africa. Of course Josephte Bellehumeur was the daughter of Marguerite Grant and Michel Monet.

I don't know how accurate Ancestry.com is, however, I'll venture a strong guess that they are very accurate in the information I've gathered. I don't know to what extent you've studied Metis history, but here I go:

1.) Cleophile Gervais, the son of Alexis Gervais and Madeleine Fagnant, had a brother named Cuthbert Gervais - passing down of family names was customary amongst the Metis, as it was/is with their European counterparts.

2.) The dates and places where Madeleine Fagnant and Alexis Gervais died, in Batoche in 1895, and 1897 coincide with the historical record, whereby, Metis people who were involved in the 1869 Red River uprising, moved west, to enjoy the events of 1885.

3.) It was customary, out of survival, for Metis people to marry or take a partner more than once in their lifetime.

4.) Metis moved around, a lot like gypsies, For example: My grandmother Florence Fiddler, was born in Great Falls, Montana. Yet her parents were born at St.Francois Xavier RRS. Gail Morin's genealogy book falsely cites my grandmother Florence Fiddler as deceased as a child.

Now, I'm just drawing on a few hunches:

1.) Perhaps, many Metis changed their names to evade Canadian authorities after 1869, and !885. Contrary to the Canadian historical record, Riel didn't start the idea of nationhood by himself.

2.) Another thing I found interesting in this most recent information. is the connection to Liberia, Africa. Two of my great, great, great grandmother's are recorded as being born in West Nimba, Liberia. Some quick research reveals some very interesting facts about West Nimba, Liberia. Perhaps the West Nimba, Liberia connections had something to do with the idea of formulating a Metis nation state?

Anyways, I've rattled on the best I can, I just got off work. Any more info I find, I'll share with you. Thank you, for your interest. :)

mixedblood

Post by mixedblood » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:14 am

......one other piece of information. My great grandparents Jean Baptiste Fiddler, and Veronique Gervais were both born in St. Francois Xavier, Red River Settlement, as were many of their family and ancestors. The parish of St. Francois Xavier was formerly known as Granttown, in honor of it's founder, Cuthbert Grant Jr.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:46 am

While updating my MORIN information yesterday, I came across an obit in the Crowsnest Pass Promoter, Blairmore, AB.

Marie Madeline MORIN was born on Jan 19, 1928, in Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan to Elise and Joseph MORIN. She was a beautiful young woman who attracted the affections of a young man named Douglas SKINNER. After a brief courtship, they were married on Dec 14, 1945, in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. They moved to Burmis in 1949 and then in 1953 settled in Coleman where they raised their seven children: Pat, Gloria, Shirley, David, Michael, Darlene, and Jeanette.

Marie died on Sep 22, 2009 at the Crowsnest Pass Continuing Care Centre in Blairmore, Alberta at the age of 81.

She is survived by her children: Pat (Allan) RYPIEN of Coleman; Gloria SKINNER of Calgary; Shirley (Guy) LIVINGSTON of Coleman; Michael (Lori) SKINNER of Okotoks; Darlene SKINNER of Lethbridge; and Jeanette (Peter) SKINNER of Fruitvale, BC; her 21 grandchildren; and her 20 great grandchildren; her sisters-in-law: Bertha MORIN, Theresa MORIN & Karen MORIN.
Marie was predeceased by her beloved husband Douglas SKINNER (1996); her parents Joseph & Elise MORIN; her infant son; and her grandson Mark ARCAND; her seven brothers: John MORIN, Jules MORIN, Michael MORIN, Albert MORIN, George MORIN, Robert MORIN, Charles MORIN; her two sisters: Mary MORAN and Theresa DUMAS.

When I noticed she has a brother named Jules I immediately thought this must be you. However, the obit states her parents as Elise & Joseph MORIN, and that she was born in Meadow Lake.

Somehow this doesn't fit with the Elise (Pelagie) LINKLATER b-1867 & Joseph Henry MORIN b-1868 that I have. Can you help me with this one?

mixedblood

Post by mixedblood » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:24 am

Most certainly, Pelagie Linklater, and Joseph Morin are my great grandparents, their son Norbert Morin is my paternal grandfather. My late father was named Jules Gabriel Morin , and was born in Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan in 1926. This Marie Morin is most definitely one of my relatives, as all the Morins from around the Meadow Lake area are descendants of Cyprien Morin and Marie Cook. The Meadow Lake Morins are a very. very large clan, and the names Jules and Joseph are common within the Morin families. Cyprien Morin and Marie Cook had four sons, and several daughters, my great grandfather Joseph is one of Cyprien's sons.

Another interesting thing I found out, was that Joseph Morin and Pelagie Linklater were also first cousins - they intermarried. Pelagie was the daughter of Marie Morin (Cyprien's sister) and Hugh Linklater, a Metis of Scottish ancestry. There are now several thousand descendants of this one intermarriage. Most of the Morins are also descendants of Peter Fidler and Mary Mackagonne. Again I urge you to have a look at the Metis Museum, you can see many of the pictures, and several written documents of my relatives. Here is the link http://www.metismuseum.ca/