Home | Peter Fidler | Ancestors Index | History | Forum |

Mapleton History

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

Mapleton History

Post by gnstill » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:37 pm

I have just posted a new narrative about Mapleton School(s) and related history.
To go to this narrative, click here: Mapleton School: Story

Please post historical queries and comments here, under this topic (Mapleton History).

Regarding students, teachers, etc, post under: Mapleton School Students, etc

My own first historical query here is: When did the Old Mapleton School close for good, and when did the New Mapleton School open it's doors?

Rossm

Re: Mapleton History

Post by Rossm » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi Gary. A random memory of Mapleton history: In the fifties my father, Archie McLeod, went to a municipal meeting to suggest they name the road we lived on. After telling them he did not want his name used, he suggested one of the local old-timers such as Peter Fidler or Jim Birston - someone like that. To everyones disgust they chose Tom Craig, a local market gardener with little or no historical or social connection to the area. And thats how Craig Ave. got its name.

Another random Mapleton story: Back when a streecar operated between Winnipeg and Selkirk (pre warand pre me), my grandfather,Billy McLeod and another person were driver and conductor. On the last run from Winnipeg the last passenger was Mr Ellerby who was entertaining them with stories about his recent trip to the South Pacific. When they got to his stop just south of Mapleton School, he invited them to come to his house down on the River Road for a few drinks. They finished the run to Selkirk and drove the streetcar back, parked it, and walked down for a few drinks. The Ellerbys had brought a houseboy back from their trip. when the Ellerbys went to bed they told them to stay as long as they wanted - just clap twice whenever they wanted another drink and the houseboy would bring it. They thought this was great! Of course the next morning they were passed out and the streecar wasn't in Selkirk to make its first run of the day. They also would no longer be employed by the streetcar company. The houseboy, Pirano (not sure of the spelling) later would come into or marry into money. This was the family that had a place next to Mapleton School behind Campion's house and Jackie Spence's cabin and wound up buying the old school building and moving it a little further from the hiway around 1960.

In your reply to my recent posting You asked about my ancestors. As it happens I made a family tree for my grandsons a while back. My side goes back to Scotland in the 1700's and includes an American politicion who had a brother that was an outlaw. My in laws are Icelandic (Icelanders recorded most everything) and the tree goes back to Séra (Pastor) Mikael Bergsson who was born ca. 1575 at Gar§ur in Kelduhverfi, Iceland and includes Markùs "The Giant" Olafsson born ca. 1700, at Skútar, Iceland, who was rumoured to have descended from the trolls, and Jón "The Learned" Illugason born ca. 1650 at Skogar, Iceland, a noted sorcerer and poet formally educated at Hólar, Iceland - much to the delight of my teenage grandsons. (The § character is an Icelandic language letter that sounds like DTH sort of.) My daughter in law is Inuvialuit (Inuit of the Western Arctic) and has an ancestor that was a whaler from Hawaii whose grandfather arrived in Hawaii about 1838 from Scotland and married Annie Kamakaokapunanaulaokalani Kekuku daughter of Kepano Kekuku and Poipi born 1819, Honokahau, Maui, Hawaii. When one gets started in genealogy theres no telling what fascinating tidbits get dug up.

I am sending you a copy of the tree with names of all living people and references to their mothers maiden names removed for your records. It is a 730KB Microsoft Excel file.

gnstill
Site Admin

Descendants of ALEXANDER McLEOD (1822-1894)

Post by gnstill » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:21 am

I got your file. Thanks very much! I remember you and your parents well. Most Mapleton School kids will remember going to McLEOD’s tobogganing and sliding hill in their younger days. It is interesting that you were born in North Battleford. I always thought you were born in Selkirk.

Surprisingly, I had much of that information already. I just wasn’t sure I had the correct Archie. Your info verifies that I did. This is great information! It will take me a while to absorb it all so I can make adjustments in my own records.

I’d love to have more on you ancestral Alexander McLEOD SR b-1798. I’m wondering if he may have been among the Selkirk Settlers who arrived at Red River in the early 1800’s. Some of them were affected by the rampages of Cuthbert GRANT, and were whisked away to Upper Canada and the USA. You can see a little more about GRANT in the FIDLER articles on this website.
Last edited by gnstill on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Organizing Topics

Rossm

Post by Rossm » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:13 am

Gary:
No mystery about my birthplace - my mother was staying with her family because my father had gone to England and Scotland late in '42 to get ready for a little beach party and fireworks show in June of '44 at a place called Juno in Normandy, followed by an extensive tour of France, Belgium, Holland and Germany.
I could never get any more on Alexander McLeod, although I haven't looked for 2-3 years. I thought his Ontario marraige in 1820 eliminated the Selkirk settlements both in Manitoba and P.E.I., but I didn't think of the Cuthbert Grant factor. I did find the census etc. site in Scotland, but they charge for each search (oh those canny Scots) and I didn't think I had enough info.

Rossm

Post by Rossm » Tue May 25, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi Gary

A few days ago I was trying to remember the date of the closing of the old Mapleton school, and couldn't so I decided to do some extensive research (I sent an Email to the school-Duh!). The secretary there was nice enough to Email me the following:

"The original Mapleton School on Craig Ave. is now someones home
The new school on Calder Rd. was built in 1958 with additions to the building in 1964, 1978 and 2002"

So now we know.

Regards
Rossm

HBCwife

Post by HBCwife » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi!

Great site!

I found you because I am working on my husband's genealogy. He is a descendant of James Folster who was one of the retired HBC men. I was wondering if you could give me some ideas as far as exploring the area and picking up clues on his family.

I live in Manitoba and plan to visit the area in the near future.

thanks

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Welcome to the Forum!

I have information for several James FOLSTERs in my files. I have a sister-in-law with FOLSTER ancestors.

If you could provide me with a little more specific information about your hubby's parents or grandparents, with some birth dates, etc, I may be able to help you.