Home | Peter Fidler | Ancestors Index | History | Forum |

Mapleton School (Students & Teachers)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

Mapleton School (Students & Teachers)

Post by gnstill » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:53 pm

I have just posted a new narrative about Mapleton School(s) and their related History. To go there click here: Mapleton School

Please post any inquiries or comments about students or teachers, etc here.

Regarding historical information, please post under this topic: Mapleton History

Rossm

Re: Mapleton School (Students & Teachers)

Post by Rossm » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Hi Gary

While looking for something else, I came across this site and the memories started coming back.I remember you and your family well and you and I had a brief visit at the Selkirk 100th reunion. We also spoke briefly in Edmonton in the early 70's.

I was born in 1943 and went to Mapleton school after you. Mrs. Smith was still teaching grades 1-4. When I was in gr.3,the gr.5-8 teacher was Mrs. Monday, a large woman who once punished a misbehaving student by sitting on him. The only teachers I remember when I went to gr. 5-8 were Mrs Brownlee, whose husband was a mountie, and Harold Patzer whose brother Dan operated the Riverside Grill in Selkirk (or the other way around - its been a long time). Like you I think the school was shut down in 1959, but I'm not positive. Ah...the memories...Miss Thompson getting us kids to bring a bucket of water from the pump in the school yard for a nickel - a dime if it was two pails, Miss Birston giving us a nickel for getting something from Dickenson's store for her or taking something she had baked to her bachelor brother Jim who lived on the way to our place (Craig Ave. and River Road).

Our next door neighbour was Peter Fidler and I have often wondered if he was related to the famous explorer. He was the grandfather of Ernest and Peter etc. Gowan who lived on the hiway near Calder Road. He had a brother that lived a couple of houses south of the McKenzies-Dick and Doug etc.-next to Jack and Bess Copeland-John and Judy etc. Peter died in the mid fifties in his eighties.

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: Mapleton School (Students & Teachers)

Post by gnstill » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:58 pm

Hello Ross!!

It’s a great thrill to hear from you!!

Peter FIDLER (1867-1955), who lived right next-door to you (Peter GOWEN’s maternal grandfather) was a son of Henry FIDLER (1831-1908). His grandfather was Thomas Jonathan FIDLER (1795-1875) who you can find on my Ancestors page. He was a great-grandson of Peter FIDLER of Bolsover.

I have spent many years as my hobby of genealogy. I have the ancestry of just about everyone I grew up with in Mapleton. If you don’t mind my revealing your last name, I would love to get some information about your own ancestors. I think I have their information as well, but I need a few more details to be sure I have the correct lineage.

I certainly look forward to more chats!