Home | Peter Fidler | Ancestors Index | History | Forum |

Mary O'CONNOR aka MEENISH & John THOMAS JR (1784-1816)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

Mary O'CONNOR aka MEENISH & John THOMAS JR (1784-1816)

Post by gnstill » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:08 pm

I recently added an article about this family.

To view this article click here > Mary O'CONNOR aka MEENISH & John THOMAS JR.

Stevens Descendant

Mary O'Connor Lived until 1877 in the Red River Settlement

Post by Stevens Descendant » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Mary O'Connor Lived until 1877 in the Red River Settlement

She and Richard Stevens had many children
Henry, born 1819 probably in Moose Factory
George born 1821 probably in Moose Factory
Thirza or Theresa, both names used, born 1823 en route to Red River
Margarite 1824, St Andrews, Manitoba
William Richard 1829, St Andrews, Manitoba
Mary 1832, St. Andrews, Manitoba
Robert 1838 (my Great Great Grandad) St Andrews, Manitoba

You have said that she was Waskaganish, that is the first I have heard this and I will now use that lead to keep trying to find her roots! Thanks for that, Judy

lthomas

Re: Mary O'Connor Lived until 1877 in the Red River Settlement

Post by lthomas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:24 am

Stevens Descendant wrote:Mary O'Connor Lived until 1877 in the Red River Settlement

She and Richard Stevens had many children
Henry, born 1819 probably in Moose Factory
George born 1821 probably in Moose Factory
Thirza or Theresa, both names used, born 1823 en route to Red River
Margarite 1824, St Andrews, Manitoba
William Richard 1829, St Andrews, Manitoba
Mary 1832, St. Andrews, Manitoba
Robert 1838 (my Great Great Grandad) St Andrews, Manitoba

You have said that she was Waskaganish, that is the first I have heard this and I will now use that lead to keep trying to find her roots! Thanks for that, Judy
Hello:

Perhaps you could clarify something for me. You wrote that John Thomas was replaced by his sister's father-in-law, John Mannall. Am I reading that correctly because John Thomas's son Charles (brother to John Jr. whose wife later became Mrs. Richard Stevens) was married to Hannah Mannall, John Mannalls daughter who was born at Kenogamassi.

If John Mannall was also a father-in-law to John Thomas's sister who was JTs sister and who was JMs son? Where were they? I know John Thomas had no siblings at Moose Factory. Do you have any further information about this?

By the way I am John Thomas's 4th great grand daughter directly through his son Charles. Your information about Stevens is interesting because he is not listed in the HBC bio sheets.

Thankyou for your time.

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: Mary O'CONNOR aka MEENISH & John THOMAS JR (1784-1816)

Post by gnstill » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:11 pm

Thanks for pointing out this error.

This is my goof-up. John THOMAS JR was replaced by his brother's (Charles') father-in-law

I will make the correction shortly.

lthomas

Post by lthomas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:17 pm

gnstill wrote:Thanks for pointing out this error.

This is my goof-up. John THOMAS JR was replaced by his brother's (Charles') father-in-law

Ok, no problem. I thought I missed another arm of the Thomas family I knew nothing about. Also you mentioned the possile murder of John Thomas Jr. I contacted a professor at Nipissing university about this who has a lot of knowledge about the history of the HBC people at Moose Factory and while he has done some research into other possible murders, he has no conclusive evidence about JT Jr. I am not sure how this story came about but its a fascinating one to follow. That goose camp is still used by the James Bay Cree today so it has a long history. The geese were salted down for winter food and bags of goose down were sent to England for comforters and pillows and the quills for pens. It is said that the Canada goose quills were the best in Britain for pens.

Have you ever come across any photos of John Jrs. children?

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:15 pm

Interesting stuff Lynn

The only picture I have is of John's son, Charles THOMAS b-1814. I have added it to John THOMAS Jr's page. I don't seem to have recorded where I got this picture, so I cannot be certain that this is really him.

lilothomas

Post by lilothomas » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:01 am

lthomas wrote:
gnstill wrote:Thanks for pointing out this error.

Ok, no problem. I thought I missed another arm of the Thomas family I knew nothing about. Also you mentioned the possile murder of John Thomas Jr. I contacted a professor at Nipissing university about this who has a lot of knowledge about the history of the HBC people at Moose Factory and while he has done some research into other possible murders, he has no conclusive evidence about JT Jr. I am not sure how this story came about but its a fascinating one to follow. That goose camp is still used by the James Bay Cree today so it has a long history. The geese were salted down for winter food and bags of goose down were sent to England for comforters and pillows and the quills for pens. It is said that the Canada goose quills were the best in Britain for pens.

Have you ever come across any photos of John Jrs. children?
I am a gr8,gr8,gr8 grand-daughter of Charles Thomas and Hannah Mannall. I just want to say all of your work here is great, must have taken quite some time to get all of this research done. I may have a few questions when I'm finished reading everything.

Gramma Jo

Post by Gramma Jo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 am

Hi: I'm new to this forum but was fascinated by all of the information. I'm researching John Thomas Sr. and his wife Margaret. Does anyone have information on Margaret? Where she was born, date and who her parents were. Also is she Ojibwa or Swampy Cree?? Any information would help.

Miigwech (Thank you)

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:15 pm

The wife of John THOMAS SR (1751-1822) was Margaret, a Cree woman born around 1766. I was told she was probably born at Moose Factory, and that she was the granddaughter of a Cree chief. She died on Dec 31, 1813 at Moose Factory.

Fur traders often married daughters of what they called "Home Guard Cree". These were families that lived near the fort during most of the year.

Welcome to the Forum! Would love to hear more about your own ancestors.