Home | Peter Fidler | Ancestors Index | History | Forum |

NANCY BLACK & GEORGE FIDLER (1800-1846)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
Jolie

NANCY BLACK & GEORGE FIDLER (1800-1846)

Post by Jolie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:28 am

Hello, all!
I'm working on a geneological project for a university Metis studies class. It's very exciting! A cousin of mine has provided me with a family tree, and now I'm just filling in the blanks beyond date and place of birth: who these people were and what role they played in the formation of Metis culture.

I am a descendant of Peter Fidler's son George. George's son William FIDLER married Marguerite MCGILLIS. William's son John FIDLER married Julienne DELORME. John's daughter Mary FIDLER married Frederic VANDAL and gave birth to my great-grandmother Augustine.

I have been searching through various publications for information about Peter Fidler and his descendants. One of the neatest sources I have found so far is a chapter about Peter Fidler in a book called "Eighteenth Century Naturalists of Hudson Bay": Here is a link to the chapter on Google Books. http://books.google.com/books?id=2ffpFo ... t&resnum=1

If anyone has suggestions for me on books that I should make a part of my studies, please let me know!
Thank-you so much for this awesome site!
Jolie

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:00 pm

Welcome to the Forum Jolie
I have lots of information on these families, but I need to do some updates before I post more information in the next few days. If you have any specific queries in the meantime, feel free to post them.

mixedblood

Re: Descendant of George FIDLER

Post by mixedblood » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:00 am

:) Hi Jolie, I too am a descendant of Peter Fidler's son George. George's wife's name was Nancy Black. Here's how my Fidler lineage ties in:

1) Peter Fidler and Mary Mackagonne.
\
2) George Fidler and Nancy Black.
\
3) Francois Fidler and Josephine Laplante.
\
4) Jean Baptiste Fiddler and Veronique Gervais.
\
5) Florence Fiddler and Norbert Morin.
\
6) Jules Morin and Evelyn Bishop.
\
7) Jules Morin {Me}

This Fidler family tree is massive, one of my cousins who is very well educated and has worked in various levels of Metis governance estimated that there are probably around 70,000 descendants of Peter Fidler and Mary Mackagonne. 70,000 descendants is a rather conservative estimate when you consider that from my great grandparents {Jean Baptiste Fiddler and Veronique Gervais} alone, there are in the area of 6000 of us.

I also found out that my great, great, great, great, great grandmother is Marguerite Grant, the eldest sibling of famous Metis leader Cuthbert Grant. This particular family line comes in by way of my great grandmother Veronique Gervais. I can't even begin to imagine how many thousands more people that I'm related to in the Metis/Canadian/American mosaic as a result of this family line.

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: NANCY BLACK & GEORGE FIDLER (1800-1846)

Post by gnstill » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:40 pm

I have just updated this narrative, adding a little more color to it

Here's the link: George FIDLER