Home | Peter Fidler | Ancestors Index | History | Forum |

Bolsover

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
John

Bolsover

Post by John » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:24 am

I've noted that Peter Fidler returned to Bolsover in 1811-1812. I currently live near Bolsover and I wondered if anyone knew the address of the house in Bolsover and/or if it is still standing.

I'm not a descendent of Peter Fidler but I think he was the grandson of John Fidler of Hasland/Birdholme, and I'm a descendent of him, so I qualify as a very distant relative of most of you.

Kelly

Bolsover

Post by Kelly » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 pm

Hi John,
I am a direct descendant of Peter Fidler through his son Andrew and live in Alberta, Canada. This past September we were holidaying in England and went to Bolsover to see the house that he built for his mother. It has been a pub for many years, and was recently purchased by new people. I'm not sure of the address, but the name of the pub is "Fidler's Rest", and it is on a hill above downtown, overlooking the castle, and the vale of Sutton's Mill. It is quite lovely, and the food is good, too! I hope you find it, and raise a glass to Peter!

John

Post by John » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:05 am

That's great news. Although Bolsover is only 35 miles away I don't visit the place very often - you'll understand why if you've been there.

It is truly amazing how one couple in a small Derbyshire parish can spawn thousand of offspring who are spread all over the world.