Home | Peter Fidler | Ancestors Index | History | Forum |

Peter, Alban, James George, Julie Victoria FIDLER line

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
Penny Young

Peter, Alban, James George, Julie Victoria FIDLER line

Post by Penny Young » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:57 pm

Hello!

I didn't know this existed... thanks for making a Forum.

My Grandfather was Clifford Wallace Nicholls, from Portage la Prairie, Manitoba. His mother was Julie Victoria FIDLER and Grandfather, James George FIDLER, descended from Alban FIDLER.

My grandparents wanted me to keep researching the family tree but I have neglected this project this past decade.
Just recently I was shopping in an antique store and happened across the J. G. MacGregor book "Peter Fidler-Canada's Forgotten Surveyor" so I bought it and just now finished reading it. It prompted me to look for Peter Fidler information online.
I do have a lot of paperwork in a BIG binder. My Grandpa kept all kinds of notes and the AHNENTAFEL chart, which I used to apply for my Metis status card about 10 years ago.
Grandpa had saved numerous newspaper clippings (about a Fidler reunion in Dauphin, MB- 1982) and lists of addresses of possible relatives.

I also have a folder of correspondences written by Ed Bourque of Campbell River, BC, and Louis Verhagen from Elk Point, AB. Are they still researching the Fidler family, does anyone know?
In 1994 I attended the Fidler reunion in Elk Point, and met some people but didn't keep in touch, sadly.

So now that we "cousins" can correspond with each other online, what should I do with all this data? Will there be additional features added to this website to have charts, etc?

I have a brother and sister living in Cranbrook, BC who have some new information they'd like to share, as well.

Thanks again for making this website! :D

Penny Young

gnstill
Site Admin

NICHOLLS - FIDLER

Post by gnstill » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:42 am

Welcome Aboard Penny
I have your grandparents as Dorothy Alice CHATWELL & Clifford Wallace NICHOLLS (1918-1994). I have their children as James Wallace NICHOLLS b-1942 and Dorothy Jean NICHOLLS b-1944. Which of these is your father/mother?
I have lots of info re your FIDLER ancestry. Anything in particular that you are interested in?